Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Wonderful World of Panko (Crusted Tiger Prawns)

Panko crusted tiger prawns with Thai sweet chili sauce. Easy to make and even easier to eat! Buy a bag of frozen prawns, defrost, peel and devein (if not already done), cut slits down the middle and butterfly and prepare for dipping! Add flour to a small bowl. In another shallow dish, beat an egg (and add a bit of milk if you like) and in a third bowl, pour out your panko crumbs (coconut or Parmesan would be nice touches as well). Take the shrimp by the end, dredge in the flour, dip into the egg, and then coat with the crust and place them on a pan with the tails in the air. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees Celsius and serve with the Thai sweet chili sauce. Makes for a great appetizer! Two tips though: do NOT substitute panko for bread crumbs (it just ain't the same) and leave the tails on (easier to batter and eat)! Give it a whirl and let me know how it goes. :)

I also have to give a special shout out to my pal HS who tried this recipe and failed due to my mix-up of directions!!! My apologies to her and her beau. She is an awesome 'phan' of Phancouver and I love her for continuing to read my blog and giving me feedback! The above recipe is now fixed and I hope you can all enjoy some properly cooked prawns this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment