Monday, October 11, 2010

Sawasdee Means More Than Just Hello, To Me It Means Great Food!

Sawasdee on Main Street is my favorite Thai place. To be honest, I can't say that I am an expert on authentic Thai food and a lot of Thai places do taste similar to me, (my other two faves are Urban Thai and Chili House) but this place always has amazing service, timeliness of food, fresh ingredients and just feels homey to me. Plus I love giving this place business as it's owned by an old high school friend of mine so I can count on my experience being great every time. My friend AF mentioned that she always has to try the fish cake at Thai restos so we opted for that as an appetizer. The 'Tod Mun Pla' was served with cucumber sauce and was tasty indeed.

Secondly, we each had a bowl of their 'Tom Yum' soup which was spiced just enough - to get your nose running but not dying for a glass of milk.

And of course no Thai meal would be complete without a plate of Pad Thai. I used to hate this 'ketchupey' dish but now I couldn't imagine life without it. I wonder if I'll be brave enough to attempt this dish in my own kitchen? Stay tuned and you'll find out!

The next two dishes were recommended by our server Natachai, tiger prawns stir fried with broccoli in a black pepper sauce and fish in a three-spice sauce. Both were delicious but I must say that the fish was a winner for me this night. Fried perfectly with enough chilies to get the heat going (and yes, ask for that glass of milk now), but flavorful enough to keep wanting more.


Another staple of mine in Thai eating is a nice green creamy curry with chicken atop coconut rice. Comfort food is the best thing people, especially in this cold cold weather!

And you guessed it, another plate of deep fried bananas with mango and coconut ice cream. I love how these pieces are bite size and shareable for the entire table.

And I just had to add their stuffed deep fried chicken wings in here (which I had at a separate take out time at home). This is their specialty. Deboned and stuffed with mushroom, carrot and noodles, this is a must try when dining at Sawasdee!

No comments:

Post a Comment