Sunday, October 31, 2010

My 100th Post Belongs to My Mama's Vietnamese Spring Rolls

It is only fitting that I celebrate my 100th post by revealing my most favorite food in the entire world. The ultimate Phan Fave. My mama's Vietnamese spring rolls. Yes, I would choose this meal if I was ever sentenced to the electrical chair.

While I'll never be able to share the entire recipe with you, I will reveal the goods. Partly because this is a family secret recipe but mostly because I don't even know the English names of some of the ingredients! And because a true chef does not use measurements and has the special gift of just adding to taste. I will however share that the filling is made with an amalgamation of ground pork, minced shrimp and crab meat, Chinese mushrooms, bean sprouts, vermicelli, minced shallots, eggs, pepper, garlic powder, fish sauce and soy sauce.

If you try to duplicate this recipe, it just won't happen. Especially because it's dipped in my dad's special vinegar sauce. Honestly, it's the best damn spring roll out there and you should feel privileged if you're one of the lucky few who have tried it!

5 comments:

  1. I can definitely vouch for your mama's spring rolls. I couldn't stop eating them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAMN

    i'm having a potluck and ONLY inviting YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ro and Hannah - you guys are totally invited to the next spring roll party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. woot woot! I'll bring you some pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't had that pie in a while Ro ... I think this calls for a meet next week! :)

    ReplyDelete