Sunday, May 9, 2010

Home Sweet Home Cookin'

After spending a blissful week in Mexico (eating whatever and whenever I wanted), I sure was homesick for some good ol' home cookin'. Thank god I woke up to the smell of my mom's famous 'water cake' (direct translation from Cantonese). The 'water cake' is steamed layer by layer which is made from just flour and water. The fixings on top include a sauteed mixture of shrimp, pork, broccoli stems (they ARE good for something!), onions, and Chinese fungi. Freaking delicious I tell ya!!!

I also have to share what my my popz is best known for in the family. Brewing up his famous fish/vinegar sauce. I don't really know the proper name for this but it's the tasty sauce that goes over most Vietnamese dishes. You know, spring rolls, crepes, vermicelli, and in this case, the 'water cake'!!! His secret recipe includes, water, vinegar, garlic, chili peppers, fish sauce and sugar. If you ask him for the measurements, he couldn't tell ya! He just pours, mixes, tastes and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment