Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Freakin' Fantastic Flavors at Flying Tiger!

I have to admit that I'm always a bit hesitant going into a new tapas style restaurant because I never know if I'm going to be full at the end of the meal. I understand that the purpose of these restaurants is to go with friends, share a couple plates to get a taste of each item but when I'm paying way more than I planned AND walk out wanting to get some McNuggets, there's something wrong with that picture. On the contrary, The Flying Tiger served its justice. It was one of the best 'new restaurant experiences' that I've had in a while. Talk about ample portions, plenty of flavors from all over the Asia grid, and of course the factor that sealed the deal -the Entertainment Book coupons. You're going to see the word flavor a lot here, becasue really, it's all about the flavors!
We started off with the Crisp Thai Squid, up top served with a succulent dipping sauce.
Next we had crispy but soft Roti Canai (2 pieces each) dipped in Malaysian yellow curry. SO flavorful!

Have you ever had Filipino pork skewers before? My first experience was at the annual Salmon Festival in Steveston and they are just bursting with flavor and excellent marinade. A close competition for my mom's own bbq marinade. Yum, a must try.

And here I go, gaping over the juiciness of beef short ribs - again. Here you see the Grilled Korean Kalbi Ribs served with kimchi. There were probably at least 10 ribs piled on top of each other, but were quickly inhaled, mainly by yours truly. The tender, moist and fatty combination is a 10/10 for me. A definite highlight of my night.

For our 'entrees', we shared the Panang Curry with tofu and veggies and the Hawker Street Noodles. Both dishes were dynamite in their flavors and plentiful for sharing. The Flying Tiger is definitely not asian fusion food gone wrong.


For dessert, we shared the flourless chocolate cake and the green tea panna cotta. Both bursting with decadent flavors. A great way to end the evening ineed-y.


4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the part where if I am paying extra then I got to at least leave the restaurant on a full stomach.

    This place looks amazing. I will definitely try it out when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment E. I know for a fact that you will love the ribs. Please let me know what you think after you dine there!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you go to Flying Tiger you must try their duck confit...it is one of my faves.

    Loving the blog Irene...although I still think funkie foodie would've been a better name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm i will definitely give that a try Allana! Funkie Foodie is LONE GONE!! LET GO, ALLANA, LET GO!! LOL

    ReplyDelete